(Dr. William Butler, 17th Century English Writer) Dr. Butler is referring to the strawberry.
· Eight Strawberries provide more vitamin C than an orange, and as much fiber as two slices of whole wheat bread.
· Strawberries were found in America by the earliest explorers. Species were also imported from England to be grown in the new world.
· George Washington grew strawberries in his garden at Mt. Vernon.
· The English “strawberry” comes from the anglo-saxon “streoberie” not spelled in the modern fashion until 1538.
· In 1780 , the first strawberry hybrid, “Hudson” was developed in the United States.
· The Strawberry is a member of the rose family, and is unique in that it is the only fruit with seeds on the outside rather than the inside.